Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Halloween Tale

"Unless there is a fever, you can send him to day care. Please take care of yourselves."

Those were the last words from the doctor yesterday. Since Bailey's fever had come and gone and Sophie's had broken late yesterday and I never had one to begin with, we headed over to the day care for a little Halloween fun.

There was game playing and jack-o-lantern making, song singing and trick-or-treating. The kids were adorable. The teachers were friendly. I had a good time. It was a nice once in a while kinda thing to do. Let me say that again- ONCE IN A WHILE.

I had a sneaking suspisicion that he would be there, but I decided just to focus on the kids and forget about everybody else in the room. I avoided him afterwards, throwing my things carelessly into a bag and running across the street to pick up Sophie.

I thought I had made it. I was wrong.

He was waiting at the entrance of our building.

No introductions, just out with it. "Teach for our school. Even if it is only thirty minutes, once a week."

I mumbled something about needing to talk it over with my husband and left him standing there. (Thanks Sophie for picking that exact moment to start crying!)

I love working with the kids. I get along with the teachers. But. . . . . but, there is just something about the way the head of the school approached me that casted a dark shadow over the whole thing. First impressions are hard to shake.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

What a compliment Trisha! Can't wait to see what you do. If it is only 30 minutes you could always give it a try and see what you think! Glad you were able to join in on the fun! :) Happy Halloween!

Anonymous said...

hehe It does sounds creepy the way it happened!

But hey you never know .... influencing children's minds! Ooooo! The fun that could be had! hehe!

TJ said...

I used to want to run the other way in Southern Sunday Schools too, dahling...they were forever after me...no escape...hehe!
Trick or Treat!!
Kiss, Kiss to Bailey and Sophie!!
;-D

Pamela said...

Trick-or-treat! Hey Trisha, this was so fun! Glad there are no monsters that lurk around your place, "witch" reminds me Happy Halloween! Come trick-or-treat at my place. :)

Pfingston said...

I've been a teacher. It's a lot of work. I don't think I could do it now and not be taking something away from my kids and home. I'm struggling to get my act together there anyway! Not even for a half hour. There's still planning.
I think if I were in your shoes (admitidly, not knowing how persistant they might be) I would say - "perhaps when my baby is in school", or the clincher "My husband likes me to be at home right now." Anyway. Persistance is not fun. *sigh* I've got to go rest my ticker.