Monday, July 31, 2006

The Brightest Star

Our little resident rooster, Bailey, cockadoodledooed me awake this morning before six and I decided to use the extra time before Sophie woke up to call home. Sometimes news from home is good, sometimes it knocks the wind out of your sails, like today.

It never gets easy being away from the ones you love, the ones that played with you when you were a child and now play with your kids. It isn't easy realizing that they are getting on in years. To see the flecks of grey in their hair, to hear their bones creek when they move, to hear the waiver in their voice. They hold you just a little tighter and ask youto linger just a little bit longer, as if they know time is drawing close.

It is even more difficult to be away from family when you lose someone. I wish that I could be there to say good bye to gather up those that remain and hold them and tell them I love them. For even in bad times or times of sorrow, our family is strong- helping, crying, healing together.

My Aunt Violet passed away on July 24th at the age of 79. She was kind, funny and warm. She lovingly called her sisters, "sis", she was a member of her local church, taught Sunday school and even had her own beauty shop. The light of her life may have faded, but her star is shining brighter than ever in heaven. You will be greatly missed.

5 comments:

TJ said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt Violet...I too call all 3 of my younger sisters "Sis"...I feel you on being away from loved ones that are growing older...my Mamaw will be 81 next month...she's not exaclty frail but I worry...

Vessel said...

So sorry to hear about your aunt. It is difficult to be so far from home and family.
Thank you for stopping by and touring my home on my blog. Your children are oh, so adorable.

Trisha said...

Tammy and Jules- thanks so much for your kind words!

Sunni said...

I am so sorry! I did not read yesterday, and missed your news. Hold those memories close; they are precious. And you are with them in their hearts and your own. We never truly leave the ones we love.

Trisha said...

sunnidays- thanks for the beautiful words!