Friday, June 04, 2010

How The Mighty Fall

Around three o'clock yesterday I got a call from Bailey's teacher telling me to bring my insurance card and come to the junior high school as soon as possible. Bailey had fallen, was bleeding badly and an ambulance had been called.

I know that head wounds bleed a lot, but nothing prepared me for what I saw. Sophie burst into tears when she saw her brother lying there, his face and hands covered in blood. Bailey, on the other hand, was a real trooper and one cried once during the entire ordeal. Both kids were scared of riding in the ambulance, but thankfully, Bailey's teacher came along with us and helped out so much- explaining what happened to the doctors, holding Sophie's hand when she was scared and I had to help Bailey.

After the initial examination, they asked me to wait in the waiting room while they stapled Bailey's head since Sophie was still crying. All of the nurses and doctors were amazed that Bailey didn't cry or try to fight them. He just laid on the table and let them do what they needed to do. Ten staples later and we were on our way home. We made a quick stop at the convenience store to get dinner for the kids since it was already pretty late and then came home. I gave Bailey a dose of kid's pain reliever since he said his head hurt a little, they ate and then got ready for bed.

They told me to keep a close eye on him, so I got up every few hours throughout the night to check on him, but each time he was snoring softly, dreaming away.

We went back to the doctor's today and were told it would take about a week to heal. A week without swimming lessons or strenuous exercise, which also means no sport's festival tomorrow. He had the option of just being there to support his team and watch, but decided that he didn't want to do that. He is pretty disappointed.

He is doing a lot better this morning and keeps bugging me about going to the park! We have compromised with lunch out.

3 comments:

Helen said...

Wow! I'm so glad that he wasn't badly hurt. It must have been rather frightening for you all though.

I hope Bailey is feeling better soon.

Lulu said...

Poor Bailey!

I had a head wound like that a couple years back (crazy guy at karaoke friend of a friend hit me on the head with his beer glass knocking me out and splitting open my head.) and got some staples.

Good news- it healed really well! So I am sure Bailey`s will too.

What a brave chap he was. Poor Sophie for been so worried. I hope he recovers quickly.

Anonymous said...

How is Bailey doing now?Hopefully all healed up and back to swimming.