Friday, May 14, 2010

Giggle, Giggle, Snort, Snort

About a month ago, I started reading chapter books to the kids each night before bed. First was The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner. On Monday night we finished the first book and started Charlotte's Web by E.B. White.

After I read the first chapter, I quizzed the kids on the main characters names.

M: What is the little girl's name?
B: Fern!
M: Good job! Ok, what is her brother's name?
B: Wait a minute. . . .
M: A, A, A.....
S: Avery!
M: Way to go! Last question, what is the pig's name?
silence, silence and more silence
M: Ok. Here is a hint Wi, Wi, Wi.
S: Wee, wee, wee all the way home? That's what the piggies say all the way home.
M: That's right, but the pig in this story is called Wilbur.
B: That's hard to say. Can we just call him Wi-chan.
S: (chanting) Wi-chan, Wi-chan, all the way home.

1 comment:

Lulu said...

OMG- that is so funny and clever.

I love that book too. It was one of my favourites as a child.