Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Whatcha Eatin'?

I really enjoy getting ideas for our meals from other blogs and I thought for this week I would post our dinners too in the hopes that it might help someone else answer the question, "What's for dinner?"



Last night, I made a Mexican meatloaf. No real recipe here, I just mixed the ground beef with chopped onion and green pepper, an egg, taco seasoning (recipe follows), crushed up tortilla chips and a little salsa (recipe follows). I baked it at 400C for about 25 minutes. About halfway through I poured some more salsa over the top and sprinkled the top with cheddar cheese. Yummy, yum, yum.



The Mexican potatoes and carrots were made following this recipe from The Nourishing Gourmet. I cooked them right along with the meatloaf. I sometimes also use this recipe to make Mexican style chicken legs. If you like Mexican food, give these potatoes a try.



A simple lettuce and tomato salad rounded out the meal.

Taco Seasoning
1 T flour
1 t chili powder
1 t paprika
3/4 t salt
3/4 t onion powder
1/2 t cumin
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t sugar
1/8 t oregano

Simple Salsa
I can cut tomatoes or a couple fresh tomatoes
2-3 cloves of garlic
1-2 green peppers
1/2 of a large onion
Whiz these ingredients together in your food processor or blender or you can even roughly chop them up by hand. Add a dash of salt and pepper and a splash of vinegar or lime juice. Give it another whirl or mix well. Refrigerate for a few hours for best flavor. You can also add Tabasco sauce to kick it up a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you think you'll like to join daring bakers? A few of us gals in Japan belong = )