Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Oh Ye Of Weak Stomach, Turn Away Now

I have a schedule. A schedule that I like to stick to. For my kids. For me. For my sanity. But, sometimes even the best planned out schedule can hit a little log in the road.

Today was a work day for me and so Sophie went to daycare. Bailey and I went to pick her up at 4:00, strapped her in the stroller and headed for home. It was cold and I didn't want to waste any time, but Bailey had other plans. Her ran ahead of the stroller instead of walking beside me. He found a rock and threw it at Sophie. He stomped his feet and refused to move when I asked him to apologize to Sophie. And, I could go on, but you get the idea, right?

When we finally did make it home I sent him to a time out in the hallway. In and out. Open the door. Scream. Cry. Kick. Yell. (That was him by the way, not me.) So, buy the time it was all over and done with an hour had been lost. I had to hustle to get dinner done. While the kids ate I got stuff ready for a bath and washed up a few dishes. I usually let the kids play for a while after dinner, but today there was no time, so it was straight from the dinner table to the bathtub. Sophie in the bathtub to soak and Bailey out of the bathtub to get soaped up and rinsed off before they switched.

I was using lavender scented soap, so what was that awful smell? I looked over my shoulder and saw Sophie starring straight ahead and squatting. Good lord, we have a floater or two or three. And that, my friends, is another reason I let the kids play for a little while after dinner. Inevitably, Sophie has a messy diaper after dinner every single day. EVERY SINGLE DAY. I should have known.

A schedule is good, but make sure to be on the lookout for an unexpected log. Or two. Or three. Aren't you glad there aren't any pictures today?

No comments: