Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Without Leftovers There Would Be No Bento

In a mad dash this morning, I dumped some rice in the yellow container and topped it off with marubo-dofu leftover from dinner last night (tofu and minced beef in a slightly sweet sauce). Then I fried up two small sausages, microwaved some spinach and added a little salt and black sesame seeds, leftover rolled egg from yesterday's lunch and some strawberries with mandarin oranges hidden underneath for good measure.

Yesterday's lunch was a success! It came home completely empty except for a lone carrot slice stuck to the lid. This may look like a lot of food for a 3 year old, but Bailey just nibbles his breakfast around 7:00 every morning and so by the time lunch rolls around I know he is starving. At daycare (where the teachers prepared lunch), he was always asking for seconds and sometimes even thirds. It seems like Bailey always eats the most for lunch.

3 comments:

Vicky said...

Today's lunch looks really yummy too! I think my stomach works on Bailey's timetable too, I hate to eat when I have just got up...

My whole way of cooking changed to accommodate the need for bento ingredients the next day! (Curry rice days are nice and simple that evening but what to do the next morning??!)

Midori said...

Joey seems to be the same. He eats far more at lunchtime that for breakfast or dinner and he seems to eat more at daycare than at home. I guess it is seeing all his buddies munching on their obentos that gets him going!!! I used alot of leftovers as well but I am guilty of using alot of ready-made stuff like meatballs as well. I am sure the teachers think I am a useless cook but Joey loves meatballs so I guess it can`t be helped.

Tigermama said...

Leftovers are indeed the saving grace of bento makers across Japan. Your obento looks great, colourful and nutritious!