Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Honey Bee, Why You Gotta Sting Me??

For the first few days of pre-school, the teachers ask the parents to come in and help out. I think that it is a way for the teachers and parents and students all to become familiar and comfortable with everyone and plays into that whole group mentality thing that is so popular here in Japan. On Monday it is my turn.

I talked to another mother about it as we waited for the bus to bring the kids home and she said that more than likely we will break off into groups and walk the kids through things like where the glue goes or how and where to line up for the bus. No problem, I thought, I can handle that. But, her next words stopped me dead in my tracks.

"Nobody would blame you if you made up some excuse and didn't go," she smiled.

My reply? A lame, "ohh" and a quick thanks to God that the bus arrived and the conversation was lost in the shuffle of book bags and welcome home hugs.

I know that she didn't mean to offend me, but her comment stung a little. Like a honey bee had stung the soft part of the arch of my foot. The bee is long gone but the sting is still there.

4 comments:

Jerri Ann said...

What do you think she meant by that? I find it kind of odd.

Trisha said...

I think that she was just saying that it wasn't really that big of a deal and that it wasn't mandatory but it also sounded a little like because you are a foreigner no one expects anything of you. I don't know it just rubbed me the wrong way. My Japanese isn't the best but I can at least give it the old college try, right?

Sarah@mommyinjapan said...

I get that a lot, too. I try not to read too much into it and just do what I want or am able to do.

We're just trying to find our way in the unknown, aren't we!

Anonymous said...

That is lame ... Why wouldn't you want to participate in your kid's lives??