Wednesday, January 17, 2007

What To Do?

In just about two weeks Sophie will be one year old. ONE YEAR OLD!! Where does the time go?

For Bailey's first birthday we were in the States and there was a big party with balloons, snacks, cake and ice cream and lots of family and friends. The theme was Sesame Street and I think somewhere around here we still have the toy school bus with Cookie Monster as the driver that was on the top of the cake.

Now, what to do for Sophie? Birthdays here are sorta low key or at least they are for Hub's family but I want some balloons and crepe paper. I am kinda leaning toward having it here instead of at MIL's house just because I feel more comfortable.

Any suggestions on a theme or if you know of a good "cake" that doesn't require baking- I am all ears. After all, you only turn one once, right as opposed to 29 which can happen over and over again!

7 comments:

Tigermama said...

I know a good recipe for a no-bake cheesecake if you`re interested.

And isn`t that interesting, I`m "29" too! :)

Anonymous said...

WOW~ One Year! That is so exciting! We were pretty low key with Becca's first b-day. Balloons are a must though. Not sure about no bake cakes ...

Ame said...

how about an ice cream cake? do you have ice cream in japan like we have it here?

gotta go pink!!!!! care bears are fun for that age, if they have them there - but anything cuddly and PINK!!!

Susie said...

How about rice krispie treats and you can leave them in a big pan (like a cake) until you're ready to serve?
You can add chocolate chips or rainbow sprinkles, even candles!
(you do have rice krispies, right??)
:)

Corey said...

I agree with the ice cream cake suggestion! We are totally into ice cream cakes. We have been paying the big bucks and getting Ben and Jerry's ice cream cakes for a while now. There was this one we got for my husband's birthday that was to die for. I think it matters a lot which combination of ice cream and toppings you choose. No matter what you do, order it a few days early and don't just buy one that they have sitting around. We did that once from a place and YEUCK! It tasted like freezer burn... or something!

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time no matter what. I am the worst at organizing birthday parties so other than the ice cream cake we don't do a lot. We always have the parties at our house, some things for the kids to play: homemade bingo cards with numbers from 1 to 10 included, I bought a pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey but it wasn't the biggest hit, we did an indoor scavenger hunt (that went very well, although chaotic) and I usually give some little pocket size coloring books and mazes for the kids to take home. And lots of snacks for the adults (usually bread, meat, cheese, chips and salsa, goldfish crackers, etc.).

Anyway, have a great time! Now that I have my blog on blogger, I'll try and stop by more!

Anonymous said...

We just had Baby Bug's 1st birthday party last weekend. All I can say is . . . thank goodness it's over! It really doesn't matter how big or small the party is, as long as you're surrounded by friends and family.

Jeni said...

An adult version of the child's first birthday to say, 'good for us, we survived the first year!'

Or go with a Princess them; crowns, castles, the whole bit.