Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Fishing For Dinner

Fish. It is cheap. It is abundant. Hubs loves it. Bailey loves it. I don't hate it.

So I went to the grocery store with the best intentions of making buri-daikon. I got the fish and the daikon, but I totally freaked out when it came time to get the ginger root. For some reason, ginger root intimidates me. I think it stems from the fact that I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. Do I peel it first? Do I chunk it, slice it, grate it or whirl it around in the food processor?

Thinking I would just make my old stand by salmon and butter baked in foil, I went back to the fish section to replace the buri and there it was. A little package of just add water seasoning mix for buri-daikon. I think I must have yelled out loud, "Alright!!!" because half the store turned to look at me. I don't care man, I have escaped the intimidating ginger root. For now, anyway.....

2 comments:

mariko said...

hey trisha!
in all my mom's Japanese cooking she usually peels it and grates it. I know some other Asian cuisines peel and slice.

Do not be afraid!

Susie said...

I'm glad you put in a link to that recipe, because I had no idea what it was. I always peel and then grate ginger too...