Thursday, October 19, 2006

A-Z Holiday Wish List

As the holidays approach, I miss back home more than I usually do. Nothing eases that homesick feeling better than humor, so here is my A-Z holiday wish list.

A is for applesauce
B is for baking cookies
C is for carving pumpkins
D is for driving around to look at Christmas lights (No Little Vegas here in Japan)
E is for evergreens (I miss having a real, live Christmas tree)
F is for family, friends and food
G is for getting up early Christmas morning (I still can't let anybody sleep in)
H is for homemade rolls
I is for icicles (I miss the snow!)
J is for jingle bells
K is for Kandy Kanes (I know, the spelling, the spelling!!)
L is for lumpy mashed potatoes (What? I like the lump!)
M is for Magic Of Christmas (I remember it playing on the radio)
N is for nutty fudge (Nobody makes it like Mom)
O is for ornaments (like that clothes pin reindeer one of us made)
P is for pretty wrapping paper
Q is for quick (what you have to be to get the best food)
R is for rum sauce (great on pound cake, pumpkin pie, almost anything)
S is for Santa Claus (a fat, jolly one not a tall, skinny one)
T is for turkey ( I was desperate one year and tried Spam turkey in a can- yuck!)
U is for under the mistletoe
V is for velvet dresses and patten leather shoes
W is for white christmas (even just a few flakes would be nice)
X is for x-cellent hot chocolate (with lots and lots of marshmallow fluff)
Y is for yuletide cheer
Z is for zombie (and other trick or treaters)

Now, lest you think I hate Japan, here are some great things about the holidays in Japan.
1. Christmas cake (shortcake, strawberries, lots of whipped cream- Yummmmmmyyyy!)
2. Our Christmas tree (she may be tiny but when you turn on the Christmas lights she is a sight to behold!)
3. No oven=very little clean up
4. Whole roasted chickens from KFC fill in for turkey nicely
5. The 100 Yen Shop has Christmas decorations galore
6. The Christmas CD Hubs bought for me last Christmas (just put it on repeat and it is almost the same as the Magic of Christmas)
7. Yummy pudding and o-zoni my MIL makes

Ahhhh, now that feels better!

5 comments:

Susie said...

I love how you put a postive spin on this to "bloom where you're planted"
Sounds like although your Christmas is different, it's wonderful!

Ame said...

ok - i'm new here - so why no oven in Japan?

TJ said...

I loved your wish list!!!
:-D

*Tanyetta* said...

christmas will not be the same without the big guy here. wahhhhhhhhhhhhh! :(

Amy said...

Can I send you something!?!? Maybe some Candy Canes!?!? :)Our boys should be pen pals!
Amy