Monday, October 02, 2006

Holiday Cooking Blogger Style



The holidays are a little different here in Japan. No oven for baking Christmas cookies or turkey. So, I have to improvise a little. One of the dishes I try to make every year is french onion soup. I will include the directions for baking it although I use the microwave to melt the cheese.

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. margarine or butter 3 large Spanish onions, peeled, sliced 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) beef broth 3 cups cold water 1 bay leaf 6 slices French bread, toasted 1 cup Shredded Swiss Cheese 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese

Directions:
MELT margarine in large skillet on medium heat. Add onions; cook about 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add broth, water and bay leaf; stir. Cover; simmer 15 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. PREHEAT broiler. Ladle hot soup evenly into 6 ovenproof bowls; top each bowl of soup with a toast slice. Sprinkle evenly with cheeses.BROIL 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.

Now head on over to Overwhelmed's to see more great recipes or to add your own.

9 comments:

Susie said...

Holiday cooking without an oven would be a huge challenge for me! This soup looks really good and easy too!

Pamela said...

French Onion soup is one of my favorites I have a thing for onions and I love that you shared your recipe, sounds delicious! :)

Unknown said...

That would be a challenge. Does Japan have a similar holiday? It would be interesting to see some traditional Japanese holiday recipes. Thanks for the onion soup recipe. I love onion soup.

Overwhelmed! said...

Wow, no oven? That is indeed a challenge! I'm with Magi, I'd love to see some traditional Japanese holiday recipes...if not today, then one day soon. :)

As for the French onion soup, I often order this in restaurants but I've never tried to make it myself. I'm taking note of this recipe to do so! :)

Thanks so much for participating in my Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style recipe exchange. I do appreciate it!

Ms. Kathleen said...

So nice to have a recipe for a favorite. I have only ordered this in restaraunts. I love this soup! Yummy and a perfect dish on a cold day! Thank you so much!

Sandra said...

Oh I love French Onion Soup, this is just perfect thanks so much for sharing :)

Rae said...

No oven would be hard! This sounds delish, thanks for sharing! =)

BlondeBrony said...

French onion soup, a family favourite. I really should make it more often. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

I love French Onion Soup and have wanted a good recipe for a long time. I'll have to give it a try!
Thanks..