Wednesday, July 12, 2006

This Is A Tough One, Chew On It For A Little While

Potty training. Toilet training. Whatever you call it, it is hard. I am beginning to feel the pressure from other Moms. The conversation always goes something like this:

When Bailey bends down to pick up his shovel his shirt rides up revealing a diaper.
Her: Oh, Bailey is still in diapers?!?
Me: Yeah, he just doesn't seem ready yet.
Her: But isn't he three already?!?
Me: He will be three in November.
Her: When are kids in America usually out of diapers?
Me: Depends on the kid, I guess.
Her: Well, thank god, he isn't three yet. You still have some time.
Me: (Nodding, not knowing what else to say.)
Her: But if you don't start soon you will have to wait until next summer.
Me: Really? Why is that?
Her: You must train in the summer. (Blah, blah, blah about being able to run around naked and free)
Me: I think I'll just wait until Bailey is ready.
Her: (Shock, dismay)

So, I can't be the only mother of a two year eight month old who is still in diapers. As a matter of fact, I know that I am not. You know, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. I have tried leading Bailey to the potty, but I can't make him pee.

We got over the pacifier/ bottle thing by the age of one. Also had him sleeping in his own room and put down to sleep awake by around the same time. He feeds himself, changes his own clothes (with a little help), puts on his own socks and shoes, soaps up and rinses off in the shower by himself, washes his own hair, takes his dishes and puts them in the sink after he finishes eating, and a hundred million other things. So, what is the big deal that he is still in diapers. Bailey was a little bit of a late speaker too, but now you can't shut him up. In his own time he will master, conquer and be king of the village of Potty.

That having been said, I wonder how things went or are going with other Moms of toddlers. How can I encourage Bailey to use the potty without pressuring him? Any good ideas, tricks of the trade?

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Wow! Sounds almost too good to be true. Toilet training in one day. So after taht one dy your kids were using the potty no problem? How about at night? Just wondering what the sex of your children are. Like you said boys develop later than girls. I am definately gonna give it a go. I will let you know how it all works out.

I just posted the comment to Mande's site last night, so we haven't gotten a chance to meet yet.

Thanks so much for your great ideas. Hope to hear from you again.

Trisha said...

I think I am gonna give it a go this weekend. Hopefully I will have as good results as you had. Keep your fingers crossed for me!