Monday, July 10, 2006

Food For Thought

It is summer. It is hot. No, actually it is hot and very humid. And I seem to be the only person in Japan to notice it. The only one all beet faced with sweat rolling down their face. The only one afraid to lift up her arm for fear of the dreaded pit stain and smell. To think, I take a shower in the morning and a bath with the kids at night. But no one would ever know this after I have been outside for more than two minutes. Why even style your hair? Why even put on make up? Why even cook cause it just heats up the apartment and makes it worse?

To that end, I have devised an idea to cut down on cooking time and cleaning up time. I will call them one dish (pot, pan, etc) wonders. Yesterday it was cream stew. Today niku jaga, a Japanese dish of meat (tonight pork, but could also be beef), potatoes, onions and carrots simmered in soy sauce, sugar, mirin (sweet rice wine) and sake. Later this week, chicken and dumplings, curry and one pot pasta. Ingenius, I tell you!!

Speaking of food, Sophie had her first taste of peaches today. I was getting a little discouraged with rice cereal. Spoon it into her mouth and she would spit it out. And so it became- spoon, spit, spoon, spit, spoon, spit until Mommy gave up. Today at dinner she was a little fussy and I decided to give her a littlebit of the fresh peach I was eating. She LOVED it! She twirled it around in her mouth like it was some fine wine, swallowed and let out a happy girl squeal of pure delight. I offered her a little more and too my surprise, she actually opened her mouth. With the rice cereal it was more like prying her lips apart. She ate about a teaspoon or so and wanted more, but Bailey had already finished them off. Loves sweet stuff, that girl does. Just like her Momma.

No comments: