Thursday, October 26, 2006

Putting The Beauty Back In Beautiful

I was suspicious at first. The tinkling of the bell as I pushed the door open sounded more like a warning bell than a welcome bell.

There they were all gathered around the corner playing cards and drinking coffee. They all turned and starred at me.

The older woman, who will from now on be known as LH because originally enough she had long hair, stepped forward.

"I would like a cut and color," I said, hearing her sigh of relief that I could speak Japanese.

Mr. Cap Man, so called because he was wearing a baseball cap and the mister because he owned the salon, ran to find his color chart and style book. The consultation began. I relaxed. He relaxed. Things only got better from there.

The color came first. Then ABSOLUTE HEAVEN!!! The shampoo. I have always loved to have my hair washed but this little shampoo girl, to be known as LSG (not to be confused with LSD), was superb! Maybe it was because I was their only customer or maybe it was because I charmed them with all my witty tales of an American's life in Japan, but goodness gracious! Then the warm towel on the back of my neck while we waited for the conditioner to work it's magic- one more minute and I would have been asleep.

Then came the cut. I swallowed a hair or two while laughing so hard at Mr. Cap Man, but it was so worth it. I am telling you!!

Another shampoo after the cut followed by a shoulder and neck massage and I was thinking about coming back everyday and then, AND THEN, the icing on the cake- he did my hair proud and even gave me some styling tips.

LSG gave me a magazine to look at while Mr. Cap Man took a phone call and LH gave me a glass of ice tea. Great day in the morning (and that is not a phase I take lightly, no siree bob!) they had won me over.

A little wax for my hair and some candy for the kids and I was on my way. Feeling relaxed. Feeling beautiful.

In all my years here, I have never had a regular salon that I go to get my hair cut. My reasoning being that I didn't want to get stuck in a rut. A different salon, a different stylist meant a different cut, a different swoosh of the bangs. Today, however, I realized that the real reason was I hadn't found that hair magic yet. I have found it and I am not letting it go.

I will be back Mr. Cap Man, LH and LSG- don't you worry!

5 comments:

Pamela said...

That's great Trisha! It is so wonderful to take a little time and pamper ourselves! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow I have hair style envy! I had a great stylist I left behind last move :(

Looking at the pic of both it looks awesome! You husband will be coming home to a new woman!

Mande said...

Cool! I feel the same way about my salon - Orange Pop. I just like the way they spoil their customers, and they seem to read me quite well. If I am exhausted after a long day at work, they let me snooze while they work their hair magic on me. If I am perky and awake, they talk about my ear off about Japanese and American lifestyles. It is great conversation practice for me! These people don't even TRY to speak English with me.

Ame said...

this makes me want to come to japan - but i know nothing of japanese :)

Pfingston said...

I'm coming over now . .