Friday, September 15, 2006

Five Ingredients Friday-Bacon Fried Rice

One dish that we make quite often is fried rice. It is a good way to use whatever you have in your fridge and it takes very little time to prepare. Over the years I have learned a couple of secrets to really good fried rice.

1. Make sure that your wok (or frying pan) is hot before you add the oil (I prefer sesame oil)
2. It is best to use day old, cold rice because hot, fresh rice has the tendency to clump
3. Frozen carrots, peas and corn work well because they are all about the same size and take about the same amount of time to cook
4. I cook the egg right before adding the rice so that it is incorporated into the rice and doesn't get stuck to the pan and burn.
5. Be careful about the ratio of veggies to rice. Adding too many veggies will make the rice soggy.

Bacon Fried Rice

Ingredients
1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups cold cooked rice
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup coarsely chopped scallions, green part only

Preparation
In a skillet, fry the bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels.
In a wok or large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the eggs and cook, stirring, just until firm. Remove from the pan and reserve.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan and add the rice. Mix well. Add the soy sauce and mix well. Mix the eggs into the rice, breaking them into smaller pieces as you stir. Add the scallions and bacon. Mix again to combine, and serve.

This is a basic recipe. You can use any kind of meat or vegetables. I especially like it with garlic.

11 comments:

Beck said...

Sounds yummy! And I know that it would go over really well with my kids, too.

Pamela said...

That bacon fried rice is a different take on fried rice, can't wait to give it a try! :)

Hey, Trisha part III of Our Wedding is up, come check it out!

Ms. Kathleen said...

My hubby and kids would love this. I love fried rice. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Rice is a major staple at our house. I must have 5-6 different varieties of it here. My family would love this recipe!

BlondeBrony said...

I never know what to do with rice, so perhaps I'll try this on the weekend. My family would love it.

MY FIF is up.

Lori said...

This sounds good. I love anything with bacon or rice. Actually there's not many foods I don't like! Thanks so much for sharing this. It's a keeper.

Rae said...

I love fried rice and bacon..never had the two together though, this sounds absolutely delish! Thanks for the recipe =)

Unknown said...

I love fried rice! Can't wait to try this.

Barb said...

I love fried rice. But I've never been good at making it. Looking at your tips I can now see why. So thank you for the recipe and THANK YOU for the tips!

Susie said...

I have to try this. It sounds yummy. How can you go wrong when bacon is one of the ingredients. Am I right?

Overwhelmed! said...

Okay, you are my new best friend! I love fried rice but when I've tried to make it at home it turns out nasty...usually clumpy or soggy. I'm so excited that you included tips on how to make really good fried rice. You can bet I'll be trying this one! If it works, my husband will love me even more. I don't know how many times he's choked down my pathetic attempts at fried rice! :)

Thanks for participating in my Five Ingredient Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it!