Saturday, July 29, 2006

Through My Children's Eyes

How can we sing the songs of the LORD while in a foreign land? Psalm 137:4

(Recently, while waiting for more homes to be added to Boomama's blog I clicked on a link for Everyday Mommy and found a contest called Writing From The Heart and the topic was What my children taught me about God. I couldn't get it out of my head, so here I set at 4:00 in the morning, feeling humbled and truly blessed. This is my entry.)


*I sat with the lights down low, starring out the window into darkness, adding worry on top of worry. Lost and unable to see the light.

The little hand tugged at my sleeve, but I barely noticed it. I felt him standing beside me waiting, wanting, inviting me to play. Still I pretended not to notice. How could he possibly understand?

"Mommy," came the soft little voice. Growing impatient, he put his hands on my face and brought me down to his level.

"Mommy," he repeated working his hands to the words, "Oh, the itsy, bitsy 'pider cli' up the w'er spout......"

Lesson learned: Growing up I remember church gaterings, bible school, singing meetings and the feel of my grandmother's hand in mine as we said grace. Somehow, I lost my way, but He never left me. He stood beside me when things got rough, softly calling until I realized I wasn't alone. It was up to me to turn to Him, to notice Him, to make him a priority once again.


*"Hurry," I said shaking the little hand held tightly in mine to get his attention, "We don't have much time."

"Mommy, up," he said thrusting both hands into the air, wanting to be carried.

"You are a big boy. You can walk. Ready 1-2-1-2-1-2," I tried doing my best solider march.

"Bailey tired. Mommy please." I loooked down into those sweet, innocent brown eyes and the next thing I know I felt his breath on my neck as he wrapped his arms around me and patted my back. "Thank you, Mommy."

Lesson learned: We do not walk through this life completely on out own. Sometimes we are carried by the grace of God and we should give thanks to Him for all that He has done.


*Ecclesiastes 3
A Time for Everything 1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

"It's a boy!"
"Mommy, I got a boo boo."
"Mommy, let's dance together. Like this."
"Mommy, I need a hug!"
"Mommy, I lost my train."
Trembling lip, wet cheeks as I hold him.
"Mommy, lub you!"

The most important thing my children have taught me about God is that He is everywhere. In the day to day, in the darkest hour, in the sound of laughter, in what we do and how we choose to live our lives. Sounds simple, really, but all you need is love. A love for those around you be it stranger or friend, a love for the life that He has given you and a love of God.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1Corinthians 13:13

4 comments:

TJ said...

this moved me to tears....

Sunni said...

You always seem to know exactly what I need to hear. I promise I will post later today and catch up on everything that has happened this week. Thanks for the reminder.

Trisha said...

Tammy- While I was writing this I was crying too. To think of all I have been given. Just like your poem said..... my cup is overflowing!!

Trisha said...

Sunnidays- good to hear from you. Missed you. I will stop by and see you later!