Friday, September 22, 2006

Without Rain, There Would Be No Rainbows

This morning as Bailey lay kicking and screaming on the floor because I refused to give him gummy worms for breakfast, I wondered how much longer we could both stand it. I was tired of listening to it after fifteen minutes and he had started screaming more and crying less.

When did this happen? When did he transition from sweet, smiling, happy little boy to a temper tantrum thrower at the drop of a hat little boy. His way or nothing at all. Gosh, I am beginning to feel that I am not cut out for this.

Why does he not listen? Why is he so stubborn?

Then it occurs to me- he is just like me. And when we clash, it is horrible. The worst kind of storm with thunder and lightning and high winds. But, when it is over, after all the mess has been cleaned up and the rain has stopped, his voice so soft, so gentle, so broken by tears. "I'm sorry Mommy."

Then, when I pull him close and he lets the last few tears fall, the rainbow appears. This is how I know the true reason behind his tears. What that little two year old boy can not say. Mommy, love me most when I deserve it least.

3 comments:

TJ said...

(((hugs)))
we all have our bad days!!

Pamela said...

A mother's unconditional love. Glad you found your rainbow at the end of the storm. Very sweet!

Kristen said...

What a great post and oh, so true!! My little Feisty is into temper tantrums lately, but when she has calmed down, the first thing she always says to me through her tears is, "Mommy, I love you very, very much!" Definitely a rainbow after the storm!!